Have you ever played a player who never misses? These are some of the toughest matches to play and can be very frustrating. Use consistency to your advantage to beat majority of your opponents.
In my opinion, you can beat 75% of your opponents just by keeping the ball in play. The other 25% you will need to be consistent and step up and make some shots. The number one way to be more consistent is to take some pace off of the ball. The goal is to hit the ball with 3/4 of your pace. Not too hard but not too soft. You want to find the pace that you will be able to hit in which you will never miss. You take this pace of the ball and move it around the court as your opponent self-destructs. If you play well with consistency, over time throughout the match, this will really frustrate your opponent and may result in them over hitting and trying to win the point too quickly. Once they start trying this tactic, you may start to see a lot of unforced errors creep into their game. As they start missing, then you’ll know that you drew them into your web of errors, therefore, resulting in a very easy match for you to win.
Having a steadily paced ball can be a huge weapon and will help you win a ton of matches.
Keep on Playing!
Some players can not take it when they are under a lot of pressure. How do you put pressure on your opponent, you come to the net and force your opponent to make a shot. You will find that if done correctly, some players will succumb to the
pressure and just miss big because they are so focused on what you are doing. Here are a few ways to put the pressure on by getting to the net.
1) You can look for short balls during a rally. I would say any ball inside the service line and even a few feet passed the service line are ideal opportunities to get to the net. Of course it depends on the height and the pace of the ball. If the ball is coming short and a little slow, go for it. Hit the ball to your opponents weaker side, move up to the net and make them beat you with their weakest shot.
2) Another great way to get to the net is by serving and volleying. Serve the ball right at your opponent or to their weaker side and move in immediately. You could use this play on either a first or a second serve if you are confident enough with your placement. A lot of players are fearful to come in on a 2nd serve because they think it’s weak. If you think of it this way, the slower the serve the closer you get into the optimal volley position. So a nice spin serve could be more effective then a bullet to your opponent. The faster you hit the ball to them, the faster the ball is coming back to you.
3) Last but not least, you could chip and charge with backspin on the ball off of your opponents serve. Another option is to step up and drive the ball off of a weak second serve to go right in. This shot is typically hit down the line. Both plays can be very
effective, especially when it’s executed when your opponent least expects it. If you do this play well, your opponent may end up double faulting because they are nervous or fearful that you may be coming in and putting the pressure on them.
When you keep the pressure on your opponent and make them nervous or fearful, you will find that half of the time, you will not even have to hit a volley or overhead to win the point. A lot of players will self destruct under the constant heat you put on them throughout the duration of a match. With better players you may have to step up and make some shots, but they too will eventually crack under the pressure and you will break them down.
Hopefully you find these tactics useful during your friendly competitive matches here at the club and elsewhere.
Play well my friends and keep on playing!
In this article we will discuss the tendencies of a good doubles partner versus a bad doubles partner. It is very important to have a great positive connection with your partner. If a good connection is not there from the beginning, then you and your partner are in for a very loooong game of doubles. (more…)